Mum Airport Sees Surge In Diwali Cargo Volumes | – Times of India

Mum Airport Sees Surge In Diwali Cargo Volumes | – Times of India

Mumbai: Diwali brought bumper cargo volumes to the Mumbai-Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) which handled 5,600 metric tonnes of cargo.
It was an increase of 2,500 metric tonnes of goods when compared to last Diwali. The top category of cargo was from the e-commerce sector, which recorded an 87% year-on-year increase in volumes.“Consumers are actively indulging in the increasing popularity of online shopping especially during festive occasions,” said Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL)
Another obvious category, given the festive season, was ‘gifts & samples’ which recorded a 36% year-on-year increase. “It was accompanied by a significant rise in the demand for perishable items such as flowers and sweets,” said MIAL. In terms of international and domestic cargo volumes, the overall surge distribution leaned slightly towards domestic shipments, accounting for 56% growth, while international cargo accounted for the remaining 44% growth.
London emerged as the top international destination to receive maximum cargo shipments originating from CSMIA. While domestically, Delhi emerged as the top destination, followed by other prominent destinations such as Hyderabad, and Bengaluru.
“Notably, Delhi, Bengaluru, and Ahmedabad have been consistently witnessing a substantial year-on-year surge in cargo shipments during the Diwali season, from CSMIA,” said MIAL. tnn
We also published the following articles recently

Diwali boosts cargo volumes at Mumbai airport
During Diwali, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) handled 5,600 metric tons of cargo, an increase of 2,500 metric tons compared to the previous year. The e-commerce sector accounted for the highest volume of cargo, with an 87% year-on-year increase. Domestic cargo saw a 64% increase in outbound movement and a 36% increase in inbound movement, reflecting the growing popularity of online shopping during festive occasions. Additionally, gifts and samples recorded a 36% increase, emphasizing the significance of the gifting culture during Diwali. London and Delhi were the top international and domestic destinations respectively. CSMIA implemented strategic measures to ensure smooth and timely cargo operations during the festive season.
India-bound cargo ship hijacked by Houthi rebels
An India-bound cargo ship, the Galaxy Leader, has been reportedly seized in the Red Sea, possibly by Yemen-based Houthi rebels. The ship, partly owned by an Israeli company, has sparked conflicting reports on its ownership and the number of people on board. Israeli authorities confirmed the seizure but denied that the ship was Israeli. The incident highlights the ongoing tensions in the area, with the rebels threatening to target ships linked to Israel or displaying its flag in the Red Sea.
Heavy rain in Kenya affects tens of thousands, disrupts cargo
Kenya has been severely affected by heavy rainfall, flooding, and landslides, impacting tens of thousands of people and interrupting cargo services at Mombasa port. At least 46 lives have been lost, and 80,000 households have been affected. The government is responding with emergency services and aid, but the situation continues to threaten lives. The rainfall is expected to continue into the first quarter of next year. In addition, the coastal region has experienced nine deaths and delays in deliveries to Mombasa port and the cargo rail line.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *