Mumbai Coastal Road northbound arm to be opened today: What commuters can expect in terms of travel time

Mumbai Coastal Road northbound arm to be opened today: What commuters can expect in terms of travel time

The Maharashtra Chief Minister will inaugurate the first phase of the northbound arm of the Mumbai Coastal Road—from Worli to Marine Drive—on Monday, and motorists will be able to access the road from Tuesday onwards.

The high-speed corridor, also called Dharamveer Swaraj Rakshak Chhatrapati Sambhaji Marg, currently caters to southbound commuters between Worli and Marine Drive only.

The new northbound arm will offer drivers seamless connectivity between Marine Drive and Haji Ali. The travel distance will be covered within five to seven minutes, which currently takes at least 45 minutes during peak hours.

Motorists can access the coastal road from Marine Drive. They will first enter a 2-km undersea tunnel that extends to Priyadarshini Park. After exiting the tunnel, motorists can leave the road by turning towards Breach Candy or Bhulabhai Desai Road using the vehicular interchange at Amarsons Garden.

When travelling towards Haji Ali, motorists can continue on the road and switch to the mainland using the vehicular interchange at Haji Ali traffic junction. From there, they can travel towards Mahalaxmi, Worli, or the Bandra Worli Sea Link (BWSL) via the usual Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan road.

Festive offer

Since the construction of the coastal road to BWSL is ongoing, motorists still need to exit the corridor to access the sea link from the usual route.

Unlike the southbound arm, which is currently operational, the northern side will provide motorists with an unhindered view of the Arabian Sea. There will also be pedestrian walkways and sitting areas on the seaside. However, these works are currently underway and will be entirely completed by the end of this year.

According to civic officials, the northbound arm will be operational for 6.25 km, while the remaining 4 km will be opened during the final phase in October-November this year.

Meanwhile, the southbound stretch is open for 8 km between Bindoo Madhav Thackeray Chowk in Worli and Marine Drive in South Mumbai. The coastal road will only be open between 7 am and 11 pm on weekdays. Civic officials stated that 90 per cent of the civil works on the road have been completed, and the remaining 10% will be done at night or on weekends when there is less traffic.

Lok Sabha Election Results 2024: Full list of winners

Related Articles